Difference between revisions of "Main Page"
|Line 4:||Line 4:|
'''IMPORTANT NOTE: You are welcome to edit this wiki, but to prevent spam we've turned off automatic account creation. If you aren't already registered you need to first email
'''IMPORTANT NOTE: You are welcome to edit this wiki, but to prevent spam we've turned off automatic account creation. If you aren't already registered you need to first email webmaster @ (this domain above) to request a user account. Thanks for understanding.
== Welcome ==
== Welcome ==
Revision as of 09:35, 15 August 2011
|Download||FAQ||Bug report pages||Knoppix Customizations||Knoppix Remastering||Hard drive Installation||Organized Content|
IMPORTANT NOTE: You are welcome to edit this wiki, but to prevent spam we've turned off automatic account creation. If you aren't already registered you need to first email webmaster @ (this domain above) to request a user account. Thanks for understanding.
Welcome to the Knoppix wiki. This wiki and other features found on Knoppix.net are all about Knoppix. Knoppix.net is a resource for users, developers, and testers of the live Knoppix CD. The official website for Knoppix is at Klaus Knopper's website.
Knoppix is a Free and Open Source Live Linux CD based on Debian GNU/Linux. Live Linux CD means that the computer boots and runs completely from cd. Nothing is installed on your hard drive in order for you to experience many of the Open Source software packages available. Knoppix includes recent Linux software and desktop environments, including such applications as OpenOffice.org, Abiword, Gimp, Konqueror, Firefox, Apache, PHP, MySQL and hundreds of other quality open source programs. (See "complete list of packages included with Knoppix" for more information.) Knoppix.net allows you to look at the FAQ's and Documentation, participate in discussions on the forums, or just burn a copy of it and try it out! - You can download it ( CD or DVD size ISO files ) or buy it from a CD distributor, more info on the download / buy page.
The documentation found here is organized in several sections. The goal is to take you from the very beginning as you learn how to use Knoppix all the way to advanced applications of the Live Linux CD.
What this wiki is NOT: This is not the place to post your questions about Knoppix. While there is a section to track bugs once they are well defined, please do not edit FAQs or other articles just to add a question without an answer. The Knoppix forum is the proper place for asking for help from other Knoppix users. If you post questions in the wiki fewer people will see them and you will not get as many or as high quality of responses as in the forums. If you do post a question in the forums and get an informative response, consider enhancing the wiki by adding that information to the appropriate section (assuming it wasn't there already).
- A handy one-stop source of information about downloading, verifying, burning and booting a Knoppix CD or DVD is this wiki's Downloading FAQ. You may also want to review the wiki article on Bittorrent. If you do not wish to download and burn your own copy there are others who will sell you a copy of Knoppix. Buying it from our preferred supplier costs as little as $1.95 and earns us a small commission that helps pay for this site: Buy Knoppix on CD or DVD.
- Bug report pages
- If you have found a bug in Knoppix, you can report it on the Bug tracking site. However, some users have developed bug report pages on this wiki that include work arounds to some of the problems with each release of Knoppix.
- After you have experimented with Knoppix for awhile you may want to customize it. Customizing may be as simple as using the Cheat Codes while booting the Knoppix CD. You may want to look at the Customizing FAQ or at some of the specialized Knoppix based Linux distributions.
- Knoppix Remastering
- If customizing isn't meeting your needs, then there's information on how to remaster Knoppix. Yes, remastering is one of the beautiful facts of Open Source software: You can take the software and remold it to how you see fit. There are translations available of the Knoppix Remastering Howto ---- Deutsch ---- French ---- en español ---- Russian ---- Indonesian.
Hard Drive Installation
- Hard drive Installation
- The main strength of Knoppix is its ability to be run from memory as a Live Linux CD. The advantage to this is that you can take the CD with you. However, some users have worked out how to install Knoppix on a hard drive. Hard drive install of Knoppix is not recommended for the new user and one should understand that there are problems associated with a hard drive install of Knoppix, particularly if you try to install more software or update your current software. Users are encouraged to look at a Debian ( www.debian.org ) install before trying to "install" Knoppix. If you have an old small hard drive, a large hard drive, or any drive other than a CD Rom drive that Knoppix was originally intended for, then you may want to look at some of these Hard drive Installation pages.
- Organized Content
- As the wiki develops more of the content will be organized. Here's some sample pages that may help you get going with the wiki ---- Cheat Codes ---- FAQ ---- Open Source Applications ---- Knoppix Remastering ---- Hard drive Installation ---- Useful Linux Commands ---- Useful Knoppix Commands ---- Bug report pages ---- Page stubs that could use additional content ---- Quick Index ---- Any ideas would be welcomed. How are you looking for information relating to knoppix?