From Knoppix Documentation Wiki
Revision as of 07:54, 22 September 2006 by Dso
1) The ext2 persistent home bug (ext2 partitions not recognized properly) is still not fixed in 5.01, because of a a typo in the knoppix-autoconfig file: wrong: ext3|ext3|reiserfs|xfs) MOUNTOPTS="$MOUNTOPTS,noatime" ;; correct: ext2|ext3|reiserfs|xfs) MOUNTOPTS="$MOUNTOPTS,noatime" ;; Please find a diff in here: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/knoppix-autoconfig.diff BTW, I found a work around fix, cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103883#103883 Gilles van Ruymbeke
2)knoppix splash cheatcode doesn't work, it worked with 4.0.2 version.
3)difficulty to boot on some (recent) laptop: needs to use noudev and sometimes nompcmcia to start, but Konsole failed start, complain that no tty are available.
4)boot process is horribly slow if a pci card with rt2500 WLAN chipset is plugged and failed on DHCP request, no problem on Cebit 5.0: card is well recognise.
5)printing impossible (report from forums.knoppix-fr.org)
6)module compilation is not possible (out of the box), have to have a look deeply (maybe problem with header or some links to them) Some more info: This is probably related with the Debian bug #368544 as the parts missing in the headers are those supposed to be in a newcomer linux-kbuild package
7)[INSTALL] mount with removable media, "Please change the -u knoppix and -g knoppix in /etc/udev/knoppix.rules, either to match the "primary user", or just remove them." Klaus KNOPPER on debian-knoppix ML
8) CD-Burning with an external USB device is broken. as i posted in the forum http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24784 there are some messages from cdrecord in the k3b failure report about missing entrys in /dev one of them about /dev/sg0 ... i looked for what was there in 4.0.2CD and found this:
ll /dev/sg* crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 0 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 1 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg1 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 10 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg10 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 11 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg11 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 12 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg12 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 13 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg13 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 14 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg14 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 15 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg15 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 16 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg16 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 2 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg2 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 3 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg3 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 4 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg4 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 5 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg5 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 6 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg6 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 7 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg7 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 8 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg8 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 9 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg9after creating /dev/sg0 with mknod ( using mknod without beeing absolutely sure what you are doing can lead to deleting all your data on harddisk or even worse ) at least k3b simulation started working ... i will do a real burning test later ... :Ralph.Bremer 20:34, 5 Jul 2006 (GMT)
9) ipw2200 v1.1.1 (the one in kernel 2.6.17) relies on firmware 3.0 while the Knoppix package ipw2200-nonfree only contain older firmwares. Please update ipw2200-nonfree, cf http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
10) Setting the timezone does not work. KDE's time applet requires the root password (should probably use ksudo instead).
Workaround: sudo vi /etc/timezone, sudo cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Continent/City /etc/zoneinfo.
11) Mounting of a PCMCIA flash drive works only once. After remove/insert of the card, the following error message appears: "mount:Gerätedatei /dev/hde1 existiert nicht" (rol).
12) Improvement: the CD and DVD editions miss the p7zip package. If you compress a tar archive of the Knoppix root filesystem, the result is 20% smaller than the one produced by bzip2. Definitely useful!
13) Improvement: the CD and DVD editions miss the ccache package (102 KB install size). This compiler cache is the best way to recompile big projects (like the Linux kernel) in a much faster way.
14) To use SD cards it currently is necessary to manually modprobe mmc_block.
15) Improvement: If possible include new ipw3945 WLAN module.
16) I use a working CD (tested on other computers). On my computer, Knoppix stops with the message "can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry, dropping you to a (very limited) shell..", just as the bug 15 of Knoppix 5.0DVD. Anyway the boot option nodma does not make things work. I have found no workaround. I have got a SATA CDROM/DVD drive (Plextor 712SA).
17) X won't work on some systems when using Knoppix CD 5 or Knoppix CD 4. Tried on five different systems, three notebooks, two desktop systems, but xorg's X failed to start and complained about missing files. Integrity of CD tested and okay.
18) In KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso (MD5 checked OK) *boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin is corrupt or hash is wrong in md5sums file.