Difference between revisions of "Bugs/5.01CD"
|Line 172:||Line 172:|
--[[User:Hanumant|Hanumant]] 19:35, 4 Mar 2007 (GMT)
--[[User:Hanumant|Hanumant]] 19:35, 4 Mar 2007 (GMT)
Revision as of 12:06, 23 March 2008
1) The ext2 persistent home bug (ext2 partitions not recognized properly) is still not fixed in 5.01, because of a a typo in the knoppix-autoconfig file: wrong: ext3|ext3|reiserfs|xfs) MOUNTOPTS="$MOUNTOPTS,noatime" ;; correct: ext2|ext3|reiserfs|xfs) MOUNTOPTS="$MOUNTOPTS,noatime" ;; Please find a diff in here: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/knoppix-autoconfig.diff BTW, I found a work around fix, cf: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103883#103883 Gilles van Ruymbeke
2)knoppix splash cheatcode doesn't work, it worked with 4.0.2 version.
3)difficulty to boot on some (recent) laptop: needs to use noudev and sometimes nompcmcia to start, but Konsole failed start, complain that no tty are available.
WORKAROUND: On a PB laptop, I manage to start without passing noudev, progress bar of autoconfiguring devices don't stop but by key pressing [CTRL c] twice, boot process continue. After an HD install, need to put rt2500usb in blacklist
4)boot process is horribly slow if a pci card with rt2500 WLAN chipset is plugged and failed on DHCP request, no problem on Cebit 5.0: card is well recognise.
5)printing impossible (report from forums.knoppix-fr.org)
6)module compilation is not possible (out of the box), have to have a look deeply (maybe problem with header or some links to them) Some more info: This is probably related with the Debian bug #368544 as the parts missing in the headers are those supposed to be in a newcomer linux-kbuild package
7)[INSTALL] mount with removable media, "Please change the -u knoppix and -g knoppix in /etc/udev/knoppix.rules, either to match the "primary user", or just remove them." Klaus KNOPPER on debian-knoppix ML -In: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/5.0DVD is solved -Number 10 ;) Jaime Ortega (jortega)
8) CD-Burning with an external USB device is broken. as i posted in the forum http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24784 there are some messages from cdrecord in the k3b failure report about missing entrys in /dev one of them about /dev/sg0 ... i looked for what was there in 4.0.2CD and found this:
ll /dev/sg* crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 0 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 1 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg1 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 10 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg10 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 11 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg11 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 12 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg12 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 13 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg13 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 14 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg14 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 15 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg15 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 16 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg16 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 2 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg2 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 3 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg3 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 4 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg4 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 5 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg5 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 6 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg6 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 7 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg7 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 8 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg8 crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 9 2001-08-24 01:32 /dev/sg9after creating /dev/sg0 with mknod ( using mknod without beeing absolutely sure what you are doing can lead to deleting all your data on harddisk or even worse ) at least k3b simulation started working ... i will do a real burning test later ... :Ralph.Bremer 20:34, 5 Jul 2006 (GMT)
9) ipw2200 v1.1.1 (the one in kernel 2.6.17) relies on firmware 3.0 while the Knoppix package ipw2200-nonfree only contain older firmwares. Please update ipw2200-nonfree, cf http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php
10) Setting the timezone does not work. KDE's time applet requires the root password (should probably use ksudo instead).
Workaround: sudo vi /etc/timezone, sudo cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Continent/City /etc/zoneinfo.
11) Mounting of a PCMCIA flash drive works only once. After remove/insert of the card, the following error message appears: "mount:Gerätedatei /dev/hde1 existiert nicht" (rol).
12) Improvement: the CD and DVD editions miss the p7zip package. If you compress a tar archive of the Knoppix root filesystem, the result is 20% smaller than the one produced by bzip2. Definitely useful!
13) Improvement: the CD and DVD editions miss the ccache package (102 KB install size). This compiler cache is the best way to recompile big projects (like the Linux kernel) in a much faster way.
14) To use SD cards it currently is necessary to manually modprobe mmc_block.
15) Improvement: If possible include new ipw3945 WLAN module.
16) I use a working CD (tested on other computers). On my computer, Knoppix stops with the message "can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry, dropping you to a (very limited) shell..", just as the bug 15 of Knoppix 5.0DVD. Anyway the boot option nodma does not make things work. I have found no workaround. I have got a SATA CDROM/DVD drive (Plextor 712SA). 16b?) Can't burn, and DVD-reader access are very slow on laptop with ICH6 SATA controler
Workaround (after HD install):
echo "options libata atapi_enabled=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/libata
mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-test
Then modify your boot config (/boot/grub/menu.lst for grub) to adapt your initrd like: initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-test
And add to your kernel options (append):
17) X won't work on some systems when using Knoppix CD 5 or Knoppix CD 4. Tried on five different systems, three notebooks, two desktop systems, but xorg's X failed to start and complained about missing files. Integrity of CD tested and okay.
18) In KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-DE.iso (MD5 checked OK) *boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin is corrupt or hash is wrong in md5sums file.
19) Apache2 returns "Partial Content" when accessing a local (127.0.0.1) page. Small files works, larger files (> Mtu ??) not. See http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25639
20)(may be the same as 1): Knoppix 5.0.1, English CD download, failed to mount the hard drives on a Dell Dimension 5100, which has a second SATA hard drive installed for backup. It worked fine if I disabled the second hard drive from the BIOS setup.
James Wimberley 9/10/2006
21) (same as 3): Knoppix 5.0.1, English CD download, failed to boot on an HP Pavilion zv5120us laptop, unmodified except for extra memory. The hangup was on the fourth line, "looking for CD in /dev/hdc". Knoppix 4.0 boots fine on the same machine. The copy of 5.0.1 should be OK as it boots on the Dell, see 20.
James Wimberley 9/10/2006
22) The !cal command does not work in a continuous manner. In fact it works about 40% - 60% of the time when done consecutively. !ls and !top work without issue, but there seems to be a glitch in the !cal command when using the Knoppix 5.0.1 CD.
23) Notebook IBM Thinkpad T40: ipw2200 does not work due wlan-card firmware upload failure.
24) The persistent home bug: i have hdd with 2 partitions (hda1 - ntfs, hda5 - fat32). if on both partitions file knoppix.img exists, but on hda1 this file is broken(all zero) - then i can't use /dev/hda5/knoppix.img too due knoppix-autoconfig error: wenn one file was found, but broken, script will skip all other knoppix.img.
25) in autoconfig-script es is not enough fehler messages (knoppix-image: no message by broken(zero) file knoppix.img)
26) the KDE internet modem dialer, 'kppp', appears to be broken, and can't find my serial modem, even when running as root.
A partial solution is to use the ?debian? 'pon' , 'pof' and 'pppconfig' scripts from the shell. --gh78
26) The touchpad bugs are still there. Double clicks and 'dragging' don't register on my dell latitude touchpad.
The solution is to pass 'psmouse.proto=imps' to the kernel. This can be done at the CD cheatcode prompt. It would be nice if it was programmed in by default. --gh78
27) Running '/etc/init.d/ssh stop' doesn't seem to actually stop sshd. I have to kill the process manually to stop the ssh server.
28) CUPS fail to load hpijs driver module when adding new HP printer, even in administrator mode, this is not happen on knoppix 3.x.x
29) In Knoppix 5.0.1 mounting a FAT16 floppy with "mount /media/fd0" gives "mount: you must specify the filesystem type". This problem didn't exist in 4.0.2 => the automounter(autofs) for mounting floppies worked fine there. Maybe the automounter could be re-implemented? Especially usefull for people (like me) who don't use the X/desktop (text-based only).
30) Knoppix 5.1.1's knoppix-autoconfig script has an error with regard to "default" myconfig. In the case where knoppix has been remastered with knoppix.sh and configs.tbz in the CD root (/) the test for knoppix.sh is wrong. Line 1310 should be changed from: MYCONFIG="$(ls -1d /cdrom/KNOPPIX/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx].[Ss][Hh] 2>/dev/null)" To: MYCONFIG="$(ls -1d /KNOPPIX/[Kk][Nn][Oo][Pp][Pp][Ii][Xx].[Ss][Hh] 2>/dev/null)" This will allow a default myconfig (e.g. if the myconfig= argument is not given) to detect the presence of the knoppix.sh script. -- Hanumant
31) Knoppix 5.1.1's knoppix-autoconfig script has an omission with regard to setting the timezone. The script set /etc/local time around line 557. It should also update the file /etc/timezone: rm -f /etc/timezone echo "$TZ" > /etc/timezone --Hanumant 19:35, 4 Mar 2007 (GMT)