1.) The Knoppix V4.0 DVD did not boot and hung. In debug mode i found that there were ACPI warnings "executable code found at module level". The solution to this was to remove the USB card reader I had plugged in. After that the boot sequence finished ok. I do not know if this error is worth being tracked. I cannot really make a connection between ACPI and a USB device. If anyone is interested in the issue I will send additional data.
- I had a similar problem. Used the "nousb" option - booted fine.
- I think that this may be a local/BIOS problem specific to a board. Have you tried "knoppix acpi=off noapic pnpbios=off pci=bios" to change the way the BIOS allocates interrupts between devices? -KK
2.) Knoppix needs a povray raytracing engine if it is to have KPovModeller. Here is the error:
i) Load up Graphics--> KPovModeller. ii) (It comes up with a basic scene). iii) Hit View--> Render iv) It gives the error message: "Couldn't call povray. Please check your installation or set another povray command."
A discussion of possible workarounds (including my wishlist) can be found at: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88147#88147 . I would note that I entered it into a feature request at that forum and was directed to report this as a bug. Paipix 3.6 FWIW does not give this error because it has a povray engine. (submitted by PterandoN, pterandon)
- Problem: povray is NOT FREE SOFTWARE. The license is incompatible with a free distribution for any purpose, including commercial ones. So, I'd rather remove kmovmodeler in 4.0.1. Sorry. -KK
Knoppix 4.0 booted from DVD:
- No sound. When I go to "Kontrollsystem - Soundsystem aktivieren" I get the message: Error while initializing the sound driver, device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device). The sound driver doesn't seem to be installed. It's a Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold, with Knoppix 3.4 it works.
- Could you let me know which soundcard (PCI vendor and version ID) and which module has worked for your card in 3.4? Also, I would recommend booting with the options mentioned under 1.) -KK
- Can't edit Grub bootloader with the system tool "Systemstart". The Bootloader can't be found.
Knoppix 4.0 installed on hard drive:
- No sound. Same problem as above.
- Now the Grub bootloader is found, but the entry of Windows XP starting isn't displayed. Changes doesn't affect anything, either.
- Open Office 2.0 doesn't start (Knoppix' size is only 6 GB on my hard drive, I thought it should be around 10 GB. Perhaps some files are missing.).
- Looks like /KNOPPIX was copied to harddisk, which doesn't contain /opt/openoffice. The installer should have used /UNIONFS as source instead. Easy fix: Boot the DVD, mount your install partition at /mnt/hd, and then do a "cp -a /KNOPPIX2/* /mnt/hd/" as root. -KK
- No USB hard drives are getting detected.
- Works for me.
Perhaps you can fix some of these problems by hand, but it will be nice, if it works out of the box. I know, that Knoppix isn't made for installing on hard drive, but many people do so and perhaps it is not so much work to fix the problems.
4.) desktop=openbox at boot doesn't work (standard KDE comes up). The openbox option in the restart X program does work.
- Problem with knoppix-autoconfig, which did not have openbox in the list of "syntactically correct" desktop variants. Line removed in 4.0.1. -KK