1.) The Knoppix V4.0 DVD did not boot and hung. In debug mode i found that there were ACPI warnings "executable code found at module level". The solution to this was to remove the USB card reader I had plugged in. After that the boot sequence finished ok. I do not know if this error is worth being tracked. I cannot really make a connection between ACPI and a USB device. If anyone is interested in the issue I will send additional data.
- I had a similar problem. Used the "nousb" option - booted fine.
- I think that this may be a local/BIOS problem specific to a board. Have you tried "knoppix acpi=off noapic pnpbios=off pci=bios" to change the way the BIOS allocates interrupts between devices? -KK
2.) Knoppix needs a povray raytracing engine if it is to have KPovModeller. Here is the error:
i) Load up Graphics--> KPovModeller. ii) (It comes up with a basic scene). iii) Hit View--> Render iv) It gives the error message: "Couldn't call povray. Please check your installation or set another povray command."
A discussion of possible workarounds (including my wishlist) can be found at: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88147#88147 . I would note that I entered it into a feature request at that forum and was directed to report this as a bug. Paipix 3.6 FWIW does not give this error because it has a povray engine. (submitted by PterandoN, pterandon)
- Problem: povray is NOT FREE SOFTWARE. The license is incompatible with a free distribution for any purpose, including commercial ones. So, I'd rather remove kmovmodeler in 4.0.1. Sorry. -KK
I'm afraid you're mistaken. Povray is FREEWARE. I've had a member of POV-Team assert that its license is fine for distribution like Knoppix. It is already distributed on:
i) klik (http://klik.atekon.de/index.php?section=graphics/ ) ii) mediainlinux (http://www.mediainlinux.org/index.php/mediainlinux/news/release_news/mediainlinux_3_beta_version_release_notes) and iii) Paipix (If you invoke the "Render" on kpovmodeller, it invokes povray application. iv) eduknoppix (http://eduknoppix.dmf.unicatt.it/) as far as I can see.
See also: http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html
(edited by PterandoN, Greg M. Johnson 2005-08-17.)
Sorry, "Freeware" does not make it "free software". Read http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html thoroughly. You may NOT distribute povray commercially without restrictions, therefore a computer magazine, for example, could NOT include a Knoppix CD anymore if povray is in it, unless the magazine gets a written permission from the povray legal owners. Also, each and every redistributor pf a Knoppix with povray needs to also accept the quite complex povray REDISTRIBUTION license at http://www.povray.org/distribution-license.html. Sorry, at this point, I really think it gets inacceptable. If the povray authors would agree to distribute povray under an OSI-approved license (http://www.opensource.org/) instead of the current one, I see no problem for the inclusion in Knoppix. -KK
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
When we re-wrote the license for POV-Ray 3.6 (released June 2004) we spent some time trying to make it OSS-friendly. (And time==money since we paid a lawyer to do it). But for some reason we still get statements like the above, which are both incorrect and misleading.
The abovementioned distribution license had an entire section (2.0) devoted to OSS distribution and explicitly mentions knoppix by name (see paragraph 2.2 and also 4.1(c)) as being a permitted distribution. How anyone could come to the conclusion that knoppix is not permitted to distribute POV-Ray given the presence of those terms is beyond me.
Submitted by POV-Ray Team Co-ordinator
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Hello, please see pertinent points of povray license, as see at:
Respectfully yours, PterandoN
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Knoppix 4.0 booted from DVD:
- No sound. When I go to "Kontrollsystem - Soundsystem aktivieren" I get the message: Error while initializing the sound driver, device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device). The sound driver doesn't seem to be installed. It's a Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold, with Knoppix 3.4 it works.
- Could you let me know which soundcard (PCI vendor and version ID) and which module has worked for your card in 3.4? Also, I would recommend booting with the options mentioned under 1.) -KK
- Can't edit Grub bootloader with the system tool "Systemstart". The Bootloader can't be found.
Knoppix 4.0 installed on hard drive:
- No sound. Same problem as above.
- Now the Grub bootloader is found, but the entry of Windows XP starting isn't displayed. Changes doesn't affect anything, either.
- Open Office 2.0 doesn't start (Knoppix' size is only 6 GB on my hard drive, I thought it should be around 10 GB. Perhaps some files are missing.).
- Looks like /KNOPPIX was copied to harddisk, which doesn't contain /opt/openoffice. The installer should have used /UNIONFS as source instead. Easy fix: Boot the DVD, mount your install partition at /mnt/hd, and then do a "cp -a /KNOPPIX2/* /mnt/hd/" as root. -KK
- No USB hard drives are getting detected.
- Works for me.
Perhaps you can fix some of these problems by hand, but it will be nice, if it works out of the box. I know, that Knoppix isn't made for installing on hard drive, but many people do so and perhaps it is not so much work to fix the problems.
4.) desktop=openbox at boot doesn't work (standard KDE comes up). The openbox option in the restart X program does work.
- Problem with knoppix-autoconfig, which did not have openbox in the list of "syntactically correct" desktop variants. Line removed in 4.0.1. -KK
5.) Compaq Presario V2335 laptop. No sound after hard drive install. Used to work fine with Knoppix 3.9. Should be compatible with snd_i8×0 driver but no sound at all. Here's the lspci -v output for the soundcard. Already tried booting with tried "knoppix acpi=off noapic pnpbios=off pci=bios" but still has the same problem. Thanks!
0000:00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03) Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17 I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256] I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64] Memory at b0040800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512] Memory at b0040400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256] Capabilities:  Power Management version 2
6.) There is a bug in linuxrc script created with /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalserver. There is a code
FOUND_NETWORK="" echo "Loading network device module(s)" for i in $(cd /modules/net; echo *.*o); do case "$NFSMODULES" in *$i*) ;; *) $INSMOD /modules/net/$i >/dev/null 2>